I am proud to announce that Tactics Time! 1001 Chess Tactics from the Games of Everyday Chess Players is now available at Amazon.com for purchase!
You can check it out here!
Even though the book has only been a very short amount of time, the feedback has been overwhelming.
In fact as I am writing this, it is the #1 best seller in the Chess Books for Kindle section!
I have heard from many customers and newsletter subscribers that they want to be able to do tactics problems on their kindles and other mobile devices such as iPad and iPhones, and this eBook will help fulfill this need.
This eBook contains hundreds of tactics from real class player games.
All of these problems are new and original.
You are going to love it!
I have a lot of “pet peeves” about most of the chess tactics books that are out on the market right now, and feel there is a lot of room for improvement in this area.
Some chess tactics books are filled with errors. This is especially true for older chess books that were written before the days of computers. So if you try to use one of these books, you also have to try and find an “errata” list that contains all of the corrections, and then hope that this list also doesn’t contain errors!
With our new ebook all of the problems have been checked with the computer, and we each went through the problems and edited them to double check them, because sometimes the software actually does make mistakes.
I can also go back and make corrections to the book, which is something that can’t be done with a paperback book.
Most chess tactics books steal their problems from other chess books. It is a lot easier to just steal existing problems than it is to come up with problems of your own. Sometimes I will be solving a problem in a chess book and get a sense of de ja vu. The reason is because I have already seen this problem before. I think this is terrible, and our eBook has nothing but new problems in it.
Another problem with many chess books is that they have way too many “cool” but rare and unrealistic problems. They have way too many smothered mates, queen sacrifices, and underpromotion problems. While these are fun, and I love them as much as anybody, they are not really the best way to improve at chess. It is good to know these patterns, and we do have some in our book, but you want to focus on getting good at the patterns that happen all the time.
That is why the focus is on the real tactics that happen in real games to real players. These problems are exactly the types of positions that are happening to real players, like you and me. These are not “composed problems” where everything works out perfectly, or Grandmaster games that are played almost perfectly. These are the positions from the “rank and file”, who play for cheapos, traps and swindles.
Another problem is that many chess books are hard or annoying to read. Authors will try and cram as many problems into a book as possible, which makes them hard to read. Or they will use some bizarre font, and the board just looks odd. Or you constantly have to flip back and forth from the front and back to see the answers, and try to remember what page you were on.
Since this is an eBook we do not have these size limitations, and there is only one problem per page, with the answer on the very next page. This way you do not have to constantly flip to the back of the book to see the answer, or worry about accidentally seeing the answer before you have solved it. The eReader software will remember where you left off, so you do not have to worry about losing your place while going through the problems.
We have got a lot of complements on the diagrams in this book, and the diagrams are given from the point of view of both White and Black, depending on whose turn it is to play.
The price is also incredibly reasonable. We know that many chess players are on a tight budget, and the price of chess books has been skyrocketing. We wanted the price to be so low that it is a “no brainer” to buy it. For around the cost of a drink at starbucks you will get hundreds of problems that will develop your chess skills in a fun and painless manner, providing hours of entertainment and enjoyment.
Who is this book for?
- The chess player would wants to improve their game
- The chess player who wants to raise their rating
- The chess player who enjoys chess tactics
- The chess player who enjoys positions from real games.
- The chess player who is frustrated with other chess tactics books
- The chess player who wants to win more games
- The chess player who is tried of missing simple tactics in their game
- The chess player who has access to a computer or Kindle eReader device (Kindle, iPad, iPhone, smart phone, etc).
- The chess player who is busy, and wants a quick and easy way to improve
- The chess player who teaches, and wants great examples for students
Who is this book not for?
- People looking to learn how to play chess (don’t know how the pieces move)
- Players with a rating over 2000 that have already mastered 1-3 move tactical combinations
- Players looking to increase their “theoretical knowledge” about the game, information about things like “theoretical novelties”, strategy, planning, etc. This book is all about building your tactical muscles with no “fluff”.
- Players with no access to a computer or eReader (wanting a physical paperback or hard cover book)
- People looking for “composed problems” or “endgame studies”
Remember: Amazon will give you a full refund within 7 days, if you are not happy with your purchase, so there is no risk at all. Go buy it now!
Question: What if I don’t own a Kindle?
You don’t need a Kindle. Neither Anthea or I owned a Kindle when we wrote the book.
- I can make corrections if there are errors or typos
- I can provide links for futher reading, which I do in the book, for specific mating patterns, openings, and ideas.
- I can keep the price very low because there are no actual physical costs like paper, glue, printing, storage, distribution, etc.
- Don’t have to worry about shipping costs, packaging, things getting lost in the mail, etc. You can literally have the book within seconds of clicking the buy button.
- The book will not fall apart. I know I was pretty hard on the Fred Reinfeld 1001 puzzle books, and they literally fell apart.
- You can share and loan the book with your friends, or borrow it if you are in “Amazon Prime”.
- You can search the book. For example, searching for “#” would find all the problems with a checkmate in them.
- Easy to return. If you don’t like the book, you can get a refund within 7 days no hassle. Nothing to put in the mail, no store clerk to deal with, etc.
Here is an e-mail I got just this morning (November 29, 2012) from someone who bought the book (Joey from New York), reprinted with his permission.
I want to thank you for re-sparking my interest in chess. I think trying to read and understand material that was written strictly by grandmasters makes the game frustrating. Do you know how many countless chess books I’ve started just to put them down after reading a chapter or two finding out that the material was just too difficult to retain? I’m enjoying your book because most of the material I understand and I like the challenging questions as well as the few mates in one’s that I sometimes miss because I’m over analyzing or sometimes just too tired. Again, thank you not only for the book, but for being a nice person. I’m glad I stumbled on to your material.
So go now and get the book, and raise your rating to a new high!