Here in Colorado Springs, we are having a white Christmas for the first time in 25 years!
- In case you didn’t see it, you can read my Christmas e-mail newsletter here: http://archive.aweber.com/tacticstime/EZZVs/h/Merry_Christmas_.htm. It includes a really cool chess version of “The Night Before Christmas”, which was written by Bill Chandler of Denver.
- Here is a cool chess Tactic from the 2012 Winter Springs Open game Isaac Martinez vs Dean Brown. White to Move (answer below)
- Here is another Christmas Present for you – a short eBook called “Silver Tape Chess“, written by Patrik “farbrortheguru” Öhagen, who has a chess blog at www.farbrortheguru.blogspot.
com. It contains some great advice for chess players looking to improve! Thanks Patrik!
- A funny post that George Takei posted on facebook:
- Anthea Carson wrote a blog post I really enjoyed, called “Becoming teachable in writing and chess”, http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/3450358-becoming-teachable-in-writing-and-in-chess
- I am looking forward to playing a lot of chess in 2013! There will not be an Al Ufer Memorial in January, which has been a tradition here in Colorado Springs for a couple of years. The Pueblo tournaments are coming back, which should be fun. I am thinking about playing in the Las Vegas National Open again, with my “wing man” Francisco Baltier.
- For the past couple of years I have tried to play at least one rated game in a new state. So far I have played in Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Nevada, Minnesota, Wyoming, Florida, Arizona, Illinois, and Washington DC. I wasn’t able to add any new states in 2012, but will try to pick one up in 2013!
- Congrats to Eric Montany of Fort Collins on becoming the newest chess master in Colorado. There were lots of chess players who did there best “You SHALL NOT PASS!” impression keeping him from getting those last crucial points, but Eric eventually broke through. Congrats!
- Answer: 24. Qxf4!! Got a well deserved double exclam from Deep Rybka. If 24…exf4 25.Rxg7+ and White windmills like an NBA slam dunk contest winner 25. …Kh8 26. Rg5+ winning the Black Queen. White wins a piece